All events take place up in the hills of Berkeley, CA, offering gorgeous views of the Bay Area, San Francisco, and access to great hiking trails. The hills of Berkeley are about a 25 minute walk (uphill) from downtown Berkeley. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that attendees plan to eat lunch at the beautiful Clark Kerr facility. For those staying in dormitory housing (see below), breakfast and lunch are included. For those not staying in the dorms, arrangements for lunch must be made at the time you register for the conference via the registration system prior to May 25th. Links to other dining options are also included below. (Click for a Google Map centered on the Clark Kerr Campus.)
Lodging (Deadlines have all passed; see tripadvisor.com or airbnb.com to find your own lodging)
We have arranged two options for lodging:
- Hotel accommodations at the historic Claremont Hotel and Spa (the venue for the main conference events). To make reservations see below. Cutoff date for NetSci rate (and availability) is extended to May 13!
- Dormitory style lodging at the Clark Kerr Campus. Reservations must be made at the time you register for the conference via the registration system prior to May 15th. The dorms are quiet nice and you save some money, both through low fees and lunch/breakfast being included. Very limited availability remaining!
1) Claremont Hotel Accommodations
NetSci has obtained a block of rooms at the historic Claremont Hotel and Spa (http://www.claremontresort.com/). The reduced NetSci rate is $180/night for a Hillside View Room, and $200/night for a Bay View Room. The rate will be available starting on Sat May 31st, through Monday June 9th. Facilities charges (usually $26/night) will be included complimentary in the room rate. These include, WiFi and high speed Internet access in the guestroom, complimentary use of the computers in the Business Center, access to our Club/Fitness Center (including multiple saunas, hot tubs and swimming pools) and all fitness classes, local calls, access charges for toll free, credit card and collect calls, newspaper delivery and in-room coffee. For more information see http://www.claremontresort.com/hotel_activities.shtml. Parking will be available at the reduced rate of $16 a day (usually $28/day).
Reservations can be made:
- By telephone (mention NetSci 2014): +1 (800) 551-7266.
- Online at https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel=11015&Chain=5433&arrive=6/3/2014&depart=6/6/2014&adult=1&child=0&group=NETSCI2014
(Promo code NETSCI2014)
CUT OFF date for NetSci rate is May 2nd, 2014.
2) Clark Kerr Dormitory Lodging
We will offer some selection of single dorm rooms, but primarily double dorm rooms to be shared by two participants. We will offer two options for length of stay:
- Arrival Sunday June 1, Departure Saturday June 7th. This includes 6 nights of lodging, and breakfast and lunch each day. Price for this package is $620 for single occupancy, and $480 for double occupancy. Accommodation is in "suites" which share a semi-private bath.
- Arrival Tues June 3, Departure Saturday June 7th. This includes 4 nights of lodging, and breakfast and lunch each day. Price for this package will range between $310-420 for single occupancy, and between $230-$320 for double occupancy. Price range reflects whether the dorm room is a "suite" offering a semi-private bathroom, or a "residence hall" with one large communal bathroom on each floor. We have very limited availability for "suites" under this option.
Reservations must be made at the time you register for the conference via the registration system prior to May 15th. To guarantee single occupancy, book early!
Looking for a roommate? Post to our Facebook page and start a conversation about it. (If you don't specify a roommate preference during the Registration process, a roommate of the same gender will be assigned.)
Lunch at Clark Kerr
The hills of Berkeley are about a 20 minute walk from downtown Berkeley. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that attendees plan to eat lunch at the beautiful Clark Kerr facility. For those choosing to lodge in the dorms at Clark Kerr, breakfast and lunch are included in the package price. Others may purchase meal cards at the time you register for the conference. We offer two options: a 5-pack for lunch Mon-Fri June 2-6, for $65; a 3-pack for lunch Weds-Fri, for $39. Meal cards must be purchased at the time you register for the conference via the registration system prior to May 25th.
Dining in Berkeley
Berkeley is renowned for starting the "California Cuisine" movement over 40 years ago. Make a reservation to dine at Chez Panisse now if you are interested! (It is a 15 minute drive from the Claremont Hotel.)
Suggested dining options
- The Telegraph Avenue area. This is the closest dining location (a 15 min walk from the Clark Kerr Campus). It caters primarily to the college student crowds, with "cheap eats"
- The Dowtown Berkeley Area, a 30 minute walk from Clark Kerr, offers a wide area of dining choices, from fine dining, to ethnic food, to brew pubs.
- The "Gourmet Ghetto", a 15 minute drive from Clark Kerr, offers some of the very best dining in California, such as Chez Panisse (book now!)
- Further afield, San Francisco offers a vast range of options.
- See also, David Chandler's list of recommended restaurants (compiled for his annual Berkeley Stat Mech Meeting -- Note the UC Berkeley campus is a 10-15 walk from the Clark Kerr Campus).
There are many recreational facilities nearby. Participants can purchase day-passes. See